With its focus on real, unprocessed foods, the Paleo diet is unquestionably healthy. Unfortunately, those fresh, whole foods are not always easy to take on the go. While some Paleo snack bars have begun to hit the market, they can be difficult to find and expensive when found. The good news is with just a few simple ingredients and a short amount of time you can make your own healthy paleo snack bars to enjoy any time!
What You’ll Need:
-1 cup dates, pitted and unsweetened
-1 cup cashews*, raw
-Small pinch sea salt
-Optional flavoring add-ins (choose 1 or 2):
-Unsweetened shredded coconut
-Unsweetened dried fruit of choice (blueberries, cherries, apple)
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
*walnuts may be substituted if desired
What to Do:
- Pulse together dates, cashews, and sea salt together in a food processor or high speed blender until a coarse, paste-like consistency forms.
- Transfer to bowl and stir in optional flavor add in choices.
- Form into bar shapes of approximately 1.5 x 4 inches, or preferred size.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
Bonus Tip: try experimenting with other dry fruits and nuts such as figs and walnuts.
The classic Austrian version of schnitzel is a thinly sliced fillet of meat (usually veal), dipped in egg wash, coated in seasoned breadcrumbs and pan-fried in butter until crispy. This delicious paleo version is equally as tasty (perhaps even more so thanks to the herbed almond meal crumbs), and much better for you!
Paleo Chicken Schnitzel
Prep time – 20mins
Cooking time – 10mins
- 4 free-range chicken breast fillets
- 7oz almond meal, plus extra if needed
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- sea salt and black pepper to season
- 2oz coconut flour
- 2 organic free-range eggs
- 5 tablespoons coconut milk
- 14oz coconut oil
lemon wedges to serve
1.) Place the chicken between two sheets of baking paper and pound with a meat mallet until it is 1/3-1/2 inch thick.
2.) Combine the almond meal, spices and parsley in a shallow bowl, season with salt and pepper, mix well and set aside. 3.) Place the flour in another bowl, set aside.
4.) Whisk the eggs and coconut milk together in a third bowl until well combined and set aside.
5.) Working with one piece at a time, lightly dust all the chicken pieces with flour and shake off any excess.
6.) Dip each piece of floured chicken in the egg mix then evenly coat with the almond meal mixture. Use a large, deep frying pan over medium/high heat to slowly bring the coconut oil to around 325°F. NOTE: To test the oil place a small piece of chicken in the heated oil – if it starts to bubble immediately, it is ready.
7.) Shallow fry the chicken for 3–5 minutes on both sides, or until golden and cooked through.
8.) Remove chicken from the pan onto kitchen paper (to soak up excess oil). Serve straight away with lemon wedges on the side.
*For extra crunch, you can add shredded coconut, and/or finely chopped seeds and nuts to your crumbing mix.
**Vegetarians try slicing an eggplant lengthways into long ½ inch thick slices.
Accompaniments: Schnitzel is a meal for all seasons and pairs very well with salads and veggies. We suggest trying a simple paleo coleslaw, a fennel and green bean salad or, for the colder months, sautéed purple cabbage with apple slices and fennel seeds. Enjoy!
What’s The “Paleo Diet”?
Paleo is actually the short form of Paleolithic. It’s the era before the agricultural age and ended about 10000 years ago. Paleo diet rules dictate the plan must be made up of foods only available to the human during the Paleolithic age, which means no dairy products, processed oils, grains, refined sugar or legumes. Now that you have some idea what this diet is let’s just move along to the rules of forming a personal plan.
14 Ways of the Paleo Lifestyle
- A Paleo plan must include high fat rate, moderate animal protein and preferably low carbohydrate.
- Include as much saturated fat as possible.
- Animal protein must include red meat, eggs, poultry, organs (like heart and liver) and especially wild caught fish. It’s fine if the cuts are fatty. Cooking WITH the bones is advisable.
- Generously eat raw or cooked fresh or frozen vegetables and have them with fat. For non-toxic carbohydrates include sweet potatoes and such starchy vegetables.
- Keep your fruits and nuts consumption between low and moderate since they’re great sources of antioxidants and Omega-3. BUT, if you have regular digestive problem or some kind of autoimmune disease, avoid them completely.
- In no way should your diet contain legumes or cereal grains. This list includes wheat, barley, corn, soy, kidney or navy beans, rye, oats, brown rice, peanuts and anything else that you can think of.
- Erase all kinds of hydrogenated, partly-hydrogenated and vegetable oils from your eating habit. You can still use avocado and olive oil but only as salad dressings or by drizzling them over food.
- One of the most disliked Paleo diet rules is eliminating added sugar because this means quitting all kinds of soft drinks, fruit juices and even packaged sweets. Best to avoid sugar completely.
- As a rule, dairy products are prohibited from the plan ALTHOUGH, you could add in butter and MAYBE heavy cream as well. For those who just can’t live without dairy, it has to be raw, full-fat and fermented.
The Paleo diet rules are put together to help you bring balance within your body by balancing body fats, “fertilizing” your brain and making your muscles more powerful.
- Eat when your stomach tells you, no need to abide by the “3-meals-a-day” rule. Doesn’t matter if you miss a meal or two. Eat only if you’re hungry. It’s hard to imagine cave-people maintaining a strict meal routine.
- Try reducing all kinds of external sources of stress. Try going to bed as early as possible and get at least 8 hours of sleep at night. Practice waking up without any alarm clock.
- If you have lengthy cardio exercises included in your daily routine, replace them with short and intense workouts (like sprinting). And do not work out more than 2/3 times a week.
- You don’t need to take multivitamins or some other similar supplements but you do need vitamin D, magnesium, vitamin K2 and iodine. Seaweeds are great for this purpose.
- The last rule could sound like a joke but it isn’t. Go outside and play, laugh and run. You need the open air and the sun. Just do whatever you want to as long as you save some time to spend outside.
The Paleo diet rules are put together to help you bring balance within your body by balancing body fats, “fertilizing” your brain and making your muscles more powerful. If you’re going the opposite direction then you’re probably not following it right. Go the right way and be healthy as you should be.
Off and on again its hard concocting extraordinary tasting paleo eating methodology nibble thoughts. You know, for the recent weeks I had the same paleo nibble suppers! One day I would be consuming cut carrot dunk in salsa sauce, the following day carrot with cumin dip…i dependably pivot between those two snacks and after temporarily, I simply had a craving for vomiting each one time I see a dish of salsa or cumin dip!
Tune in, this doesn’t need to befall you!
No chance am I going to let my kindred “present day stone age man” endure as I have endured! We current cave dweller diet devotees must stick together – bail one another out for more noteworthy else’s benefit of the planet…. It’s us against them darn it! Okay, too bad! Too bad! I escaped a bit on the grounds that I’ve been viewing a considerable amount of “us against them” sort of films recently…
At any rate, you don’t need to stress over thinking of some satisfactory paleo eating methodology nibble thoughts. See, not just am I going to demonstrate to you generally accepted methods to make 2 incredibly great paleo nibble dinners, I’m additionally going to give you a connection to a site where you can get a gathering of paleo eating regimen cookbooks. The cookbooks are incredible in light of the fact that they contain assorted types of paleo dinner formulas with photographs and regulated headings included. You can look at the cookbooks (downloadable) after these 2 formulas.
Paleo Diet snacks Recipe 1:
Delicious Sunflower Seed Dip with Sliced Carrots
You’ll require: 1 container of sunflower seeds, juice from a large portion of a lemon, a bit of garlic powder, glass of new dill, around 8 tbs of water, a bit of natural kelp granules (salt option) and ground dark pepper to spruce up the taste.
Bearings: Dump all fixings in a sustenance blender. Presently mix away until the mixture gets to be smooth and rich.
Dunk some cut carrots into the mix. Yummy stuff! You can dip with other kind of veggies obviously. I plunged a few broccolis in it and they tasted extraordinary as well!
Paleo Diet Snacks Recipe 2:
Coco Walnuts Milk
You’ll require: 1 mug of cacao powder, 1 mug of walnuts, a dash of natural kelp granules, mug of agave nectar, seeds from a vanilla bean, and 4 mugs of crisp youthful Thai coconut water.
* Put walnuts and coconut water in a blender and mix until mixture gets to be smooth. Next, get a nut-milk pack and strain the mixthrough it. Discard the mash. Put drain go into blender.
* Put the remaining fixings in the blender and mix together with the strained milk until smooth.
You can concoct numerous kinds of paleo eating regimen nibbles including paleo chocolate, noodles, sandwich, cake, chicken, fish and so forth. There’s no limits. Only dare to be creative.
If you’ve ever considered the Paleo diet, then you may be wondering about the specifics and benefits. The Paleo diet is simply following the same dietary habits as people from the Paleolithic period. In this hunter-gatherer tribe model, you wouldn’t have access to many of the foods available today. While this diet changest several of the ways that you eat, you’re going to notice that it doesn’t contain any processed foods or added sugars.
The benefits of this diet are huge and while you can use Paleo for weight loss, it’s primarily designed to improve your overall health and well-being. The Paleo diet provides meals that are full of nutrients, protein, and healthy fat sources. Instead of having to process harmful chemicals and other food additives, you have the freedom to enjoy meals where every food contributes to you health. With this diet, people notice that they feel more energized throughout the day and don’t experience the same feelings of tiredness and fatigue from their normal diets. You’ll also be meeting more of your nutrient needs through food rather than having to turn to supplements or additives.
Paleo Shopping List
When you’re trying to create a Paleo shopping list, there are a few main food groups that should be on your list. Look at this list for a few examples
Meats: Chicken, Salmon, Beef
Fruits: Avocado, Apples, Figs
Vegetables: Broccoli, Green Beans, Peppers
Nuts/Seeds: Flaxseed, Brazil nuts, Pecans
Oils: Coconut oil, Flaxseed oil
Beverages: Coconut water, Almond milk
These are just a few of the potential foods on your Paleo shopping list, but this list is certainly not exclusive. You may notice that the foods that comprise your shopping list are whole foods. They aren’t processed foods and nothing is added to them or taken away. Also, the foods on this list should be organic and free range if possible to find. You’re going to get more nutrients and stick to the preferred Paleo diet if you stick to these tips when making up your own shopping list.
Most of the foods that you enjoy have a Paleo friendly version so you don’t have to deprive yourself of your favorite dishes. They’re probably changed only by a little bit.
Cooking with the Paleo Diet
Cooking on the Paleo diet can stump some people, but it’s actually fairly easy when you get the hang of it. If you’re just starting out, look up recipes or find a Paleo cookbook to give you some ideas. Most of the foods that you enjoy have a Paleo friendly version so you don’t have to deprive yourself of your favorite dishes. They’re probably changed only by a little bit. For example, a Paleo ground beef recipe for pizza may use ground beef as the base of the pie instead of the traditional crust. Other Paleo ground beef recipes can include hamburgers, meatballs and a huge other range of uses. No matter what food dish you enjoy, you will still be able to have it on the Paleo diet although expect to see some changes.
These are some of the basic pointers to give you an idea of what the Paleo diet is and how it can help you to build a healthier lifestyle. It can take some getting used to at first, so you may want to transition slowly as you learn more about it, but expect to start seeing significant changes in just a few weeks!