What’s The “Paleo Diet”?
Paleo is actually the short form of Paleolithic. It’s the era before the agricultural age and ended about 10000 years ago. Paleo diet rules dictate the plan must be made up of foods only available to the human during the Paleolithic age, which means no dairy products, processed oils, grains, refined sugar or legumes. Now that you have some idea what this diet is let’s just move along to the rules of forming a personal plan.
14 Ways of the Paleo Lifestyle
- A Paleo plan must include high fat rate, moderate animal protein and preferably low carbohydrate.
- Include as much saturated fat as possible.
- Animal protein must include red meat, eggs, poultry, organs (like heart and liver) and especially wild caught fish. It’s fine if the cuts are fatty. Cooking WITH the bones is advisable.
- Generously eat raw or cooked fresh or frozen vegetables and have them with fat. For non-toxic carbohydrates include sweet potatoes and such starchy vegetables.
- Keep your fruits and nuts consumption between low and moderate since they’re great sources of antioxidants and Omega-3. BUT, if you have regular digestive problem or some kind of autoimmune disease, avoid them completely.
- In no way should your diet contain legumes or cereal grains. This list includes wheat, barley, corn, soy, kidney or navy beans, rye, oats, brown rice, peanuts and anything else that you can think of.
- Erase all kinds of hydrogenated, partly-hydrogenated and vegetable oils from your eating habit. You can still use avocado and olive oil but only as salad dressings or by drizzling them over food.
- One of the most disliked Paleo diet rules is eliminating added sugar because this means quitting all kinds of soft drinks, fruit juices and even packaged sweets. Best to avoid sugar completely.
- As a rule, dairy products are prohibited from the plan ALTHOUGH, you could add in butter and MAYBE heavy cream as well. For those who just can’t live without dairy, it has to be raw, full-fat and fermented.
The Paleo diet rules are put together to help you bring balance within your body by balancing body fats, “fertilizing” your brain and making your muscles more powerful.
- Eat when your stomach tells you, no need to abide by the “3-meals-a-day” rule. Doesn’t matter if you miss a meal or two. Eat only if you’re hungry. It’s hard to imagine cave-people maintaining a strict meal routine.
- Try reducing all kinds of external sources of stress. Try going to bed as early as possible and get at least 8 hours of sleep at night. Practice waking up without any alarm clock.
- If you have lengthy cardio exercises included in your daily routine, replace them with short and intense workouts (like sprinting). And do not work out more than 2/3 times a week.
- You don’t need to take multivitamins or some other similar supplements but you do need vitamin D, magnesium, vitamin K2 and iodine. Seaweeds are great for this purpose.
- The last rule could sound like a joke but it isn’t. Go outside and play, laugh and run. You need the open air and the sun. Just do whatever you want to as long as you save some time to spend outside.
The Paleo diet rules are put together to help you bring balance within your body by balancing body fats, “fertilizing” your brain and making your muscles more powerful. If you’re going the opposite direction then you’re probably not following it right. Go the right way and be healthy as you should be.